Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas DIY Advent Calendar

Merry Christmas! I hope you are all having a wonderful time this Christmas season, I know I am! I'm so grateful to be so blessed. I am also grateful for Christmas crafts! I found a new idea on this blog. It was so cute of course I HAD to give it a try! It is this super clever DIY advent calendar.. Ta-da!
 


Want to make it? You will need:

Cardboard
Aluminum foil
Acrylic paint
Scissors
Hot glue
Cardboard tubes. I used toilet paper/paper towel tubes and the cardboard spools that ribbon comes on.
Any type of small treats to put in the tubes. Candy, dollar store gifts, notes, etc.
And any ribbon or glitter you may want to add to make it cute.

Step one: Start by cutting out a circle of cardboard. Mine is somewhere between 16-18 inches around. Then cut out the center circle, about 4-5 inches.

Step two: Cut and paint your cardboard tubes. I painted after I cut so that I could position the tubes and make sure the colors were spread out, but you can also paint before you cut!

Step three: Paint or cover your cardboard circle base. Now, I used aluminum foil for the base. I wouldn't recommend this unless your calendar will be in a darker lit room, because the reflection off the foil, if it is in a bright room, makes it so that you can't see the colors on the tubes. You can also cover the base or any of the tubes in fabric.

Step four: Arrange your tubes onto your base and hot glue them on. This is just a little tricky since the tubes are so thin, but slow and steady patience will be a big helper here! Also, get a piece of ribbon and hot glue it to the back of your calendar for a hangar.

Step five: Wait for it all to dry. While you are waiting, you can find some pretty ribbon or tule, (I used both) and position it onto the calendar wherever you might like it, and tie or glue that on as well!

Step six: Place your gifts/treats into the tubes! You can also wrap the gifts if you would like, I didn't since mine are all the same. You might need to glue some of them to the circle base for them to stay in the tubes depending on how deep you cut them.

Voila! Your very own DIY Christmas advent calendar! I am excited about this one, and my husband is too since he gets a treat everyday! Let me know if you loved it too, and if you try it, I would love to hear how it went for you and what you did differently! Thanks so much for stoping by!

Merry Christmas!
xoxo
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment