Friday, July 12, 2013

DIY Crayon Art

So I am kinda a little obsessed with crayon art! It is the coolest thing, and kudos to whoever thought
about doing it, we salute you.
Anyway, I have been wanting to try a new way to do crayon art, and I came up with this:

Like it? I hope so, because I'm just a little bit in love.

So here is what you need!
  • Canvas (It can be any size you would like)
  • Crayons ( I got the big packs so that I could have the colors I wanted)
  • Hair Dryer
  • Printer paper
  • Pencil
  • Tape
  • You will also want some newspaper to put under the canvas so you don't get too messy.
So first things first, you have to make your letters. You can do this by free hand like I did, stencil, printable letters, or you can even go to the store and buy sticker letters, (which will eliminate a step a little later). If you are drawing them, make sure they are block, bubble, or any kind of letter that has a little bulk to it, otherwise you won't be able to cut them out very easily. Here are what mine looked like after I cut them all out.

Note: A trick that I did was that since I had a few repeating letters like 'L', I just drew it once, cut it out, and then traced it twice. This was you are not stressing about your repeating letters not looking the same, if that bothers you. If not, don't worry about it. :)

This next step is optional depending on how you want your letters to look.
Take your tape and cover each letter with it like this.
Then cut off the excess tape around the letter. This will give it the laminated look. If you don't want more shiny letters, then feel free to skip this step!

Next you will want to arrange your letters on your canvas. After you have them how you want them, take one letter at a time and glue them onto the canvas until you have glued them all, and let it dry. It should look something like this:

Now you get to start melting your crayons! For those of you who have never done this before, it is very simple. You are going to take one crayon color at a time, hold it over the canvas where you want that color to be, turn your hair dryer to hot, and blow on the crayon.
The colors will run, and maybe splatter a little, so be sure to put your newspaper underneath!
Keep doing this until you have covered the whole thing with the colors you want, or just until it looks the way you want it to! Here is your finished product!
Not too hard, right? I love it!

Note #2: You can also use colored paper or paper with designs on it. Also, instead of gluing on the letters, use stickers so that you can peel them off when you're done with the crayons, and you will have just plain white letter spaces. Just more thoughts to help pump your creative juices!

Thank you so much for stopping by!

xoxo
Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment