Wednesday, July 31, 2013

DIY: Wedding Centerpiece

Hey everyone! I came up with a new idea! So I was trying to think of some more good centerpiece ideas for my reception using mason jars, because if you haven't guessed by now.. I love them! I have also fallen in love with making paper flower garlands and such, so I thought, why not combine them?? Here is what I came up with.


Do you love it?? I know I do! So here are your supplies, because I know you want to try it!!


  • Paper (colored and white)
  • Washable markers
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue gun
  • Mason jar or other type of jar or vase
  • Needle and thread
So first! Make your flowers. Using your colored paper, go to my previous tutorial on how to make paper flowers here. For these flowers though, I didn't use paint because it is colored paper and I didn't think it needed more color, but that is just me!

After you have finished making your flowers, set them aside. 
Take your mason jar and fill it to your desired height with water. I would suggest not filling it as high as I did for mine, because it is harder to see the flowers. Just something I learned in the process!

Next, get some of your white paper and color on it with a marker that is the color you would like your water to be. Put that colored on paper in the water and let it bleed. You can do this a few times until you get enough color in the water. You are probably thinking I am crazy for not just using food coloring, but this way I am for sure getting the color I want, and it is not as thick and dark of a color so that you can still see the flowers!


A trick i have found that works very well is instead of tying a knot in the string to keep the flower in place, adding a drop of hot glue to the bottom of each flower where the string comes out keeps it secure and is a much quicker way to do it!

The reason for this step is that for the first day or two, the flowers will float just fine. After that they start to get heavier and sink a little bit. The string keeps them still looking really good even though they have sunk. All you have to do is take the extra tape at the top and either tape or glue it to a lid for a mason jar, or just the top inside of any other kind of jar.
In my opinion, this is the REAL finished product, I love love love the way this looks!! This is a definite yes for being part of my centerpieces at my reception!

Then put the flowers in the water! It might take a few minutes to do this while the paper gets rid of the air bubbles and soaks up the water. But that's it! Now you have a perfect decoration for a centerpiece, a shelf, or any other place you want it! Thanks so much for stopping by. Let me know how you like this craft!!

xoxo
Megan







No comments:

Post a Comment