Monday, July 8, 2013

DIY stacked pots and flowers



Hi! So I bet I can guess what you're thinking.. this is so cute! Am I right? 
Well you are in the right place, because I am going to show you how to create this masterpiece! You might have seen it's big sister on Pinterest or other websites. That one uses larger pots, real potting soil, and real flowers. However, until I can get out of my little apartment and have my own outdoor space.. that one has to wait. That wasn't going to stop me though, so I decided to make up my own! Here are the main supplies you will need for this awesome project.


  •  A styrofoam block ( I already painted mine black... obviously)
  • Little mini planting pots, I got these four in a pack for like $2.00 at the craft store. (Again, I already painted them.)
  • Electric wire, mine was just extra scraps I already had.
You will also need:
  • Paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Hot glue gun
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Some kind of fake leaves, like the ones that come on the stem of silk flowers at the craft store.
So first, you are going to want to paint your pots the color(s) of your choice. Next, paint your styrofoam. Be warned, it takes q bit of paint because you have to fill in all the holes. (I recommend using a sponge brush to do this. Then paint one of your pieces of wire. Make sure the piece you choose will be at least 3-4 inches taller than all the pots stacked up as shown in the picture. You will be able to cut off excess wire, so more is safer!

After you have that all done, stick the painted wire into the middle of your styrofoam block until you can see the end at the other side of the block, like this!
I added some hot glue at where the wire goes into the styrofoam so that it would stay better.

Take the pot that you want to be on the bottom and slide it onto the wire, then tilt it to the side so that it looks like this.

Take your hot glue gun and put a dot in between where the wire and the pot are touching to secure it.
Slide on your next pot. Place another dot of glue in between where the two pots are touching so that they wont slide around or fall.
Repeat this step with the rest of your pots so that it looks like this!
Okay, now for the tricky part... the flowers. So what I did was shape flowers out of the remaining parts of wire. This is not the easiest thing to do, but I LOVE the unique look that it gives to the scene. There are no specific directions on how to do this, other than take your pliers and get to work! ( If you REALLY don't want to do this, it would still work to get some small fake flowers from the craft store.) Here is how mine turned out. ( Sorry they are hard to see.)
If you decided to do the wire flowers, the next step is to paint them! I painted my stems green and a different color for each flower. Then, taking the fake leaves, hot glue them onto the stem of each flower. Here they are!
Now all that is left to do is glue them to their pots! So first, take one of your flowers, and place a dot of hot glue on the very bottom of the stem, make sure it is a generous amount of glue.
Place the flower in the pot in the position you want and hold for a few seconds until the glue hardens. Repeat this step with the rest of your flowers. ( If you used fake flowers, just do the same as the wire flowers and hot glue them inside the pots so that they will stay.)

Here is your end result!!

Now you have flowers that can be around all year long! Thanks so much for stopping by and please comment!!

xoxo
Megan

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Nice tutorial, it's really easy to follow along. I really like the wire flowers too....cleaver. So where did you put it when it was done?

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is sitting on a small shelf on the wall in my living room!

      Delete