Thursday, July 4, 2013

Styrofoam Crafts: Adorable desk toppers


Welcome and Happy 4th! I am so excited to be starting this blog and to share my creative adventures with you! I decided I wanted my first craft post to be something simple, and yes I realize I am probably the only crafter in the U.S. that did not do a 4th of July craft today, but yay for being different! 

So, here it is. My first post is for these cute little guys!





     

Yes I know they are on the floor in these pictures, but say hello to the cutest little toppers you will ever find!  Perfect for a desk, counter, shelf, or even the top of your television.
Want to know how to make them? I thought so. Here are the supplies you will need:

  • A styrofoam ball
  • Acrylic paint
  • Paint brush
  • Any other accessories you will be adding to your little friend.
Step One: Take your styrofoam ball and cut it in half. I just used a kitchen knife to do this, but careful not to cut yourself!
Step Two: Get the paint colors that you want all out and ready on a paint pallet (or in my case a paper plate), and start your masterpiece! For my ladybug, I started with the black and made sure that was all done and taken care of so that I knew where to put the red, see?






 Step Three: After you have gotten the base, or body, done, you can add the eyes. Now you could do a few different things for the eyes, I just chose to paint them on. You could also get googly eyes from a craft store, buttons, or little beads, whatever your preference is! Be sure you are allowing the paint to dry as you add each color, otherwise it will mix colors and look a little funky.
Just a fun little side note, right as I was finishing my ladybug, this little found it! He must have been looking for his mom and gotten a little confused!


If you are making the ninja turtle, the next step is to add the ribbon! I just used the .50 cent white ribbon from the craft store and painted it to match his mask. Cut it to the length you want and then hot glue it on!
That's it! Simple right? They are so easy and yet SO cute! The best part is you can make any animal, bug, or character that you would like! I will definitely be making more, but for now the ones I have ended up on top of my  t.v. so that I would get to see them all the time.






No comments:

Post a Comment